Thursday, October 3, 2013

Master's Sun Episode 16 or "Don't try to figure her out, you'll hurt your brain"


Extensions. Blech. I can’t think of one example where they improved a show, and Master’s Sun is no exception. This was the episode where our Taeyang is even less sunny, our Master is even more adorable, and the inevitable dragging out of the plot was even more noticeable than ever. Thank goodness the finale is tonight. I’d better get my happy ending or metaphorical heads will roll!

In the meantime, here are a few memories from last night:

1. Can Joongwon get any cuter?

Seriously, the guy just makes me grin like a loony. I don’t remember seeing So Ji Sub before this drama, but I’m certainly aware of him now. His lightning turns from stoic, stick-in-the-mud CEO to affectionate five-year-old leave my head spinning. I could watch his surprise hug with Secretary Ajusshi on a loop. It seems like all the joy has been sucked out of Tae Gongshil lately, but at least we have our mischievous Master for consolation.

2. Sleeping Beauty Attacks the Prince

This is a fairytale I can get behind. Little Sun uses her hospital stay to swoop in for a stolen kiss, then finds out that Kang Woo gave her the opportunity as a reward for getting Gongshil off the plane with her hilarious, fake appendicitis. I really dig that this girl keeps facilitating the OTP’s romance for her own selfish gain. It’s so true to character, rather than an eleventh hour redemption where she realizes she cares for Gongshil and wants her to be happy.

3. Meet the Exposition Twins 

Has anyone ever seen that old 80s movie “The Great Muppet Caper”? (I promise this tangent is going somewhere.) In it there’s a scene between Diana Rigg and Miss Piggy, whom she’s just met, where Rigg goes on and on about her wastrel brother who can’t be trusted and is such a disappointment, blah, blah, blah. After her long spiel, Miss Piggy asks in confusion, “Why are you telling me this?” and she replies “It’s plot exposition. It has to go somewhere.”

The exposition scene between Kang Woo and Secretary Ajusshi cracks me up. It’s like the Hong Sisters realized how frustrated the viewers would be at this point, and said, “Let’s make two of our most likeable characters explain Taeyang and Master’s motivations, just in case anyone missed it. If Ajusshi explains why Joongwon has to let her go to prove that he loves her, then the audience will accept it and think it’s a good idea.” (Note to Hong Sisters: It didn’t work.)

4. Tae Gong Shil is a Meanie

“Til the end, she won’t say she loves me.”

Ugh. That line really hit home. The shot of Joongwon’s defeated back in the darkened hallway as he wiped away his tears was just so wrong. I’m afraid I even started to dislike Gongshil a little.

I don’t get why she’s doing this. She “says” it’s to find herself, which I can respect, but her actions say otherwise, as she keeps reliving his near-death, even going so far as to reject the cute, little ghost boy who desperately needs her help. Remember the Tae Gong Shil of ten episodes ago who was all sweetness, and affection, and wanting to help people. Granted, her clingy need of Joongwon could be a little pathetic at times, but at least she was honest about it. These days, I can’t tell what the girl is thinking. It just seems like another recycled case of Noble Idiot, no matter how much she denies it.

5. Sweetest Case of Swearing Ever

Only in a Hong Sisters’ drama could a guy swearing at a girl be romantic. That one word is loaded with so much history, recalling his fifteen year struggle to forget his first love all the way to the conversation where he said he would never swear at Taeyang because she was just someone he ate with and held hands with once. I’m glad the episode didn’t end with the time jump and separation we could all see coming a mile away. Who else thinks Secretary Ajusshi set that whole “accidental” meeting up? If we all had someone like him in our lives, there would be no need for eHarmony.

They have one more episode to answer my questions, which all seem to revolve around her accident, so I’ll make another list:

Why was Tae Gongshil hiking around a mountain alone?
Why did she stay in a coma for 3 years and what woke her up?
Just what exactly was her relationship with Ghost-seeing Photographer in those 3 years?
Why is Joongwon the only person in the world that could be her shelter?

I hope the writers’ create a viable, creative explanation to explain the “accident” and subsequent fallout which has been couched in so much mystery up until now. And I’m really hoping there’s some clever threads woven throughout the story since episode one that will make me sit back and go, “Whoah. That makes total sense!” But maybe that’s asking too much. I guess if we return to the fun, extra-touchy format of the early days for our last episode that will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment