Thursday, October 10, 2013

Heirs: A Definite Maybe


Is Heirs the hot mess some were expecting? Nope. A copy of Boys Over Flowers? Not in the slightest. Is it a winner? Ehhhhh . . . it’s too early to tell. The story holds your interest (although I did find myself checking the time). The actors play their parts creditably. And some of the side couples may steal the show. But I wouldn’t call it a crack drama. At least, not right out of the gate. But I’m willing to give it a few episodes to hit its stride. In the meantime, here are a few points in its favor:

I like the heroine. 

This girl is no goody-two-shoes. She works hard, but resents it. Feels embarrassment over her mother’s speaking impairment. And finally decides to chuck it all and go sponge off her sister in America. But despite all of this, I like her. You understand her inner turmoil, and can see that she will do the right thing, even though she feels the injustice. And she’s no pushover. I love how we first meet her when she calmly fends off a couple of pervy ahjussis with one quick call to the police. She may have her crybaby moments in the premier (although I think they’re well-deserved), but she always sucks it up in the end and moves on.

Can we take Airhead American back to Korea with us? 

This guy. Hahahahahaha. Jay just makes me laugh. At first I was cringing from the bad acting, a situation that happens all too often with the English speaking day players. Then I found myself looking forward to his scenes. He was so over-the-top, and that whole bit with him snorting the bean powder and having an allergic reaction. Just . . . I mean . . . what do I say? I’ve never seen anything like that before, and that’s a rare quality in a K-drama.

Fauxcest for the win 

I kinda get the whole Korean situation of a step-brother and sister being legal siblings because of family registers, thanks to the drama Love Rain. And even in the States, a relationship wouldn’t be against the law, but it’s still a little icky. That being said, this is one of my favorite storylines in the whole show. “My sister is just my type.” Oh my word! Who says things like that?

Another set of scene stealers 

Bo Na and Chan Young are too cute. (And two of the only cast members that actually look like high schoolers.) She’s jealous, overbearing, and shallow. He’s laid back, thoughtful, and friendly. These two could really make it. Even though I can see her getting annoying after five or six episodes, maybe we’ll get more depth in the future. And I really like that his poverty seems to be a non-issue with her. She loves him, and no pretty, best friend from childhood better get in their way. The whole deal with him mussing her hair when they walked out the door was a great blink-and-you-miss-it moment.

Hero meets Heroine 

What an interesting way for the guy to get his first glimpse of the girl. The whole scene with Eun Sang’s sister rifling through her suitcase and running off with the cash. Gah. So wrong! And you could see the empathy on Tan’s face. If there’s one thing he understands, it’s family issues. Their relationship begins not with romantic attraction, but mutual suffering. There was something so poignant about the whole setup.

I don’t get much of a toe-curling, sexy vibe with our OTP. But I do care about their characters. I’ll stick around for now, and see where the show goes once we get back to high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment