Friday, September 20, 2013

Looking on the Bright Side of Master's Sun



Amnesia? *Sigh*

As if the evil twins weren't enough of a cliche. I guess we should have seen this coming, and I think some of the commenters on Dramabeans actually predicted it weeks ago. If you read the synopsis for One Stormy Night on Wikipedia, the wolf gets amnesia and only regains his memory when the goat repeats a special phrase that was a code between the two of them. I'm taking bets now that the magic phrase that snaps Joongwon out of his mental fog is "Get Lost!"

But until that sunny day, here are 5 reasons why the Amnesia Arc won't ruin our show. *Fingers crossed*


1.  Joongwon is NOT Gu Junpyo

One of the things I really hate about Boys Over Flowers (Am I the only K-drama fan that didn't like that show?) was the 11th hour amnesia. It seemed ludicrous that the guy would transfer his affections to a total stranger over a stinkin' lunchbox! (I know, I know, I'm over-simplifying it. But that was the gist.) Even though the evil twin in Master's Son is trying to lure our hero in with necklaces and children's books, he only seems captivated by the objects not the girl. Not once has he looked at her with anything other than curiosity.



2.  People have to pick a side

Who else is loving the Uncle more and more? I adored his previous "Bangshil, Fighting!" cheer. And now his wife has to grind his foot into the ground to keep him from spilling the beans.

And who would have thought Little Sun would promote our main couple's romance? Granted, she did it to keep Tae Gongshil away from Kang Candy, but who cares what her motives were. She helped!



3. More Conflict Means More Story

Admit it. Before the amnesia, there was very little story left to tell. What the big accident Taeyang experienced was and when Joongwon would come face to face with his past were about it. It wasn't much plot to fill four more episodes (or maybe five with the extension *grumble*). Now we not only have Joowong's lost memory to regain, there's also that uber-creepy ghost wedding lady that Taeyang owes a favor to. That lady is one of the scariest things on the show to me.



4. Munchkin Matchmakers

I wonder how many of us were clapping our hands and gasping "The Kids! The Kids!" when they appeared in Joongwon's office. After a whole episode of the labotomized adults staying mum, while our CEO insisted something was missing over and over. Even our beloved Secretary Ahjusshi wouldn't help. So the sight of those two darling meddlers clutching their new toys felt a little like Christmas morning to a frustrated viewer. Nobody bothered to tell them they were supposed to bury the truth like it was a national secret.  They stood there stoically and not only told our poor, confused Master that he's a special person to someone, they gave him her name, and place of residence. Bless their wide-eyed little, innocent faces.



5. Who Doesn't Wanna See Master Fall Hard TWICE

He may not even fight it this time. I've never seen a K-drama character so captivated by the back of someone's head. And he was the one pointing out the spark when he touched Taeyang at the restaurant. Total reversal from their first meeting that rainy night in his car. This love story may go even quicker the second time around!

If I hated the amnesia in Boys Over Flowers, I LOVED it in Secret Garden. I'm one of those suckers that relishes the idea that you're meant to be with one special person, and if you were given the chance, you'd fall in love with them all over again. As long as they don't make Hana/Heejoo-whichever-one-she-is a genuine rival for Joongwon's affections, and he spends all of Episode 14 following Tae Gongshil around, and making up lame excuses to see her again, I'll be a happy camper.

My stomach felt a little tight as I watched this last episode play out. It's not that I don't trust Joongwon. Why in the world would he fall for a cold, fake woman like the twin when he was so adept at avoiding romance until he met the force that is Taeyang? Even if he can't remember the Sun's warmth, I think his heart will automatically seek it out.

The ones I don't trust are the writers. How many dramas have we seen where we're left shouting at the screen, "Why are you acting this way!!!!!" as the writers try to drag out the story by making their characters do illogical, infuriating things? Let's not bother to catalog them, it would take too long.

This list of five reasons I made is as much for myself as anybody. I want to look on the bright side. Master's Sun has been really good up until now, so we just need to have a little faith. Repeat after me. It's gonna be okay. It's gonna be okay. (Please, Hong Sisters. Don't screw it up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment